- Notify Me
- All Jobs
- Contact us
Programme Management Officer, NOD
Jobs at:UN Economic Commission for Africa
Deadline of this Job:
17 April 2020
Date Posted: Friday, March 20, 2020 , Base Salary: Not Disclosed
The core functions are: Assisting member States through initiatives, advisory services and tailored capacity-building interventions in the context of the implementation of the African Continental Free Trade Area, including through technical studies and country profiles addressing structural transformation; Contributing to strengthening the capacity of member States in the Eastern Africa subregion, the regional economic communities and intergovernmental bodies to develop and implement development frameworks, including on the blue economy.
This post is located in the sub-regional office for Eastern Africa (SRO-EA) of the Economic Commission for Africa in Kigali, Rwanda. SRO-EA covers 14 countries: Burundi, Comoros, D.R Congo, Djibouti, Ethiopia, Eritrea, Kenya, Madagascar, Rwanda, Seychelles, Somalia, South Sudan, Tanzania and Uganda .
Under the overall guidance and supervision of the Director of the Sub-regional Office for Eastern Africa, the incumbent will be responsible for programme and project management functions at the SRO throughout their entire life cycle, including conceptualization, formulation, planning, resourcing, implementation, monitoring and evaluation, and closure. Specifically, the Programme Management Officer:
• Mainstreams results based management (RBM) and quality management in the operations of SRO-EA;
• Develops and implements assigned programmes and projects;
• Monitors, evaluates and analyzes programmes and project development and implementation;
• Reviews relevant documents and reports; identifies problems and issues to be addressed and initiates corrective actions; liaises with relevant parties; and ensures follow-up actions;
• Carries out research on selected programmatic and operational aspects of the work of SRO- EA including collecting, analyzing and presenting statistical data and other relevant information gathered from diverse sources;
• Provides substantive support for policy coordination and evaluation functions, including review and analysis of emerging issues and trends, participation in evaluations or research activities and studies;
• Generates surveys initiatives; designs data collection tools; researches, compiles, reviews, analyses, summarizes and interprets responses and relevant information/data on a wide range of programmes/projects and related topics, highlighting noteworthy issues/trends for consideration by appropriate parties;
• Organizes and prepares written outputs, e.g. draft annual report, background papers, analysis, sections of reports and studies, and other relevant inputs to publications;
• Provides full range of programme/project planning, preparation, management and implementation assistance at all phases of the SRO-EA programme/project cycle;
• Tracks UN mandates, resolutions and other legislative and statutory decisions and recommendations from other relevant bodies that affect programme/project content, distills relevant information for programmatic purposes and suggests options to incorporate in SRO- EA programmatic frameworks;
• Reviews, appraises and revises, as necessary, all submissions for substantive programmes/projects, ensuring compliance with mandates, guidelines and programme/project objectives and RBM principles;
• Supports resource mobilization efforts and works with funding agencies and development partners in arranging financing modalities; obtains requisite clearances; ensures establishment of proper monitoring systems through scheduled reporting, review meetings and missions;
• Supports activities related to budget funding (programme/project preparation and submissions, progress reports, financial statements, etc.) and preparation of related documents/reports (pledging, work programme, programme budget, etc.);
• Contributes to the formulation of SRO-EA business plans and to building-up of ECA partners profile and operationalizes the ECA programme/project management manual at SRO-EA;
• Drafts budget and forecasts based on submissions;
• Leads the preparation of monitoring checklists, identifying stages of programme/project development, funding source, and inputs by reviewing internal and external bodies, and follow-up actions required;
• Performs other administrative and technical duties as assigned.
Job Skills: Not Specified
• Professionalism: Knowledge and understanding of theories, concepts and approaches relevant to programme/project preparation, administration, implementation and evaluation, technical cooperation, programming and budgeting; Ability to identify issues, analyze and participate in the resolution of issues/problems; Ability to conduct data collection using various methods; Conceptual analytical and evaluative skills to conduct independent research and analysis, including familiarity with and experience in the use of various research sources, including electronic sources on the internet, intranet and other databases; Ability to use information technology to programming, financial and administrative work; Ability to apply judgment in the context of assignments given, plan own work and manage conflicting priorities; Shows pride in work and in achievements; Demonstrates professional competence and mastery of subject matter; Is conscientious and efficient in meeting commitments, observing deadlines and achieving results; Is motivated by professional rather than personal concerns; Shows persistence when faced with difficult problems or challenges; Remains calm in stressful situations; and takes responsibility for incorporating gender perspectives and ensuring the equal participation of women and men in all areas of work.
• Teamwork: Works collaboratively with colleagues to achieve organizational goals; Solicits input by genuinely valuing others' ideas and expertise; is willing to learn from others; Places team agenda before personal agenda; Supports and acts in accordance with final group decision, even when such decisions may not entirely reflect own position; and shares credit for team accomplishments and accepts joint responsibility for team shortcomings.
• Planning & Organizing: Develops clear goals that are consistent with agreed strategies; Identifies priority activities and assignments; adjusts priorities as required; Allocates appropriate amount of time and resources for completing work; Foresees risks and allows for contingencies when planning; monitors and adjusts plans and actions as necessary; and uses time efficiently.
• Accountability: Takes ownership of all responsibilities and honors commitments; delivers outputs for which one has responsibility within prescribed time, cost and quality standards; operates in compliance with organizational regulations and rules; Supports subordinates, provides oversight and takes responsibility for delegated assignments; and takes personal responsibility for his/her own shortcomings and those of the work unit, where applicable.
• Languages: English and French are the working languages of the United Nations Secretariat. Fluency in one of the working languages of the UN Secretariat, English or French, (both oral and written) is required;
• Knowledge of the other is desirable. Knowledge of another UN official language is an advantage.
• Advanced university degree (Master's degree or equivalent) in business administration, management, economics or a related field is required.
• A first-level university degree in combination with two additional years of qualifying experience may be accepted in lieu of the advanced university degree.
• A minimum of seven years of progressively responsible experience in project or programme management, technical cooperation, administration or related area is required.
• Experience in planning, organisation and execution of relevant programmes in the field of public-private partnerships is desirable.
Work Hours: 8
Join a Focused Community on job search to uncover both advertised and non-advertised jobs that you may not be aware of. A jobs WhatsApp Group Community can ensure that you know the opportunities happening around you and a jobs Facebook Group Community provides an opportunity to discuss with employers who need to fill urgent position. Click the links to join.