Jobs at:Practical Action
Deadline of this Job:
17 June 2021
Date Posted: Thursday, June 10, 2021 , Base Salary: Not Disclosed
Renewable Energy for Refugees (RE4R) Project: consultant profile
Exciting opportunity for Rwanda-based filmmaker
We are looking for a consultant videographer and a photographer with experience in humanitarian settings to help us capture the depth and nuance of life in Rwandan refugee camps and the way in which our work on access to renewable energy has brought about positive changes. For this assignment, we want the consultant to gather videos and photographs to showcase the impact of our Renewable Energy for Refugees (RE4R) project, which Practical Action can then use to illustrate the impact of our work in a short film and other published content. The film will be used across Practical Action’s platforms and shown at public events.
Practical Action is an innovative international development organisation putting ingenious ideas to work so people in poverty can change their world. We help people find solutions to some of the world’s toughest problems. Challenges made worse by catastrophic climate change and persistent gender inequality. We work with communities to develop ingenious, lasting and locally owned solutions for agriculture, water and waste management, climate resilience and clean energy. And we share what works with others, so answers that start small can grow big.
The Renewable Energy for Refugees (RE4R) project is funded by the IKEA Foundation and delivered by Practical Action and United Nations High Commissioner for Refugees (UNHCR) as lead partners. The project is helping refugees and their host communities access finance, training, technology and expertise to access renewable energy to power homes and businesses. Our work is enabling refugees to flourish and move from reliance on aid to economic independence. Read more on our project website https://practicalaction.org/our-work/projects/energy-for-refugees/
Consultant title: Videographer
Reporting to: Rwanda Country Manager
Key Working Relationships: RE4R Field Coordinators, Practical Action Design Team, RE4R Project Team
Location: Must be based in Rwanda with the ability to travel to Practical Action’s project sites (Nyabiheke, Gihembe and Kigeme refugee camps)
Duration: Up to 4 weeks
Travel: Travel is required within Rwanda
Objective of the film:
The overall objective of the film is to illustrate the impact of RE4R, build awareness of Practical Action’s approaches and showcase the transformative effect that renewable energy can bring to refugees. We want to engage audiences and inspire them to invest in renewable energy and adopt sustainable, market based-approaches so that refugees can build economic independence, improve the quality of life in their homes and communities, and secure livelihoods. It is expected that the final edit of the film will be five minutes in duration.
About the role:
The consultant will have strong understanding of, and experience in visual storytelling through film and photography. They will gather case studies and stories to help us build a picture of the context of refugee camps in Rwanda and the impact of our project, putting the viewers in the action and immerse themselves in the environment of the camps.
The consultant will be responsible for collecting and cataloguing all of the content/assets required by Practical Action’s Design Team to produce the final film.
A full creative brief will be shared with the successful applicant.
• Participate in an induction session with the Project and Design teams
• Coordinate regularly with the Project and Design Teams throughout the assignment
• In collaboration with the Project and Design Teams, develop storylines and shot-lists ahead of production, based on the requirements of the creative brief
• Coordinate with Practical Action’s Field Coordinators and Country Manager in Rwanda for camp access permits, logistics and detailed planning for in-camp activities and content collection
• Collection of all of the content from the camps agreed in the shot-list (in the Preparation phase) escorted by Practical Action Field Coordinators.
• Cataloguing of all content/assets and deliverable handover to Practical Action Design Team for approval.
Assignment deliverables and target dates:
The consultant is expected to complete the following deliverables:
Target date: 7th July – 16th July 2021
• Sufficient video footage (as defined in the creative brief and shot-list) for the final edit of a five-minute film covering the project’s implementation, including interviews with members of the community, setting the scene.
Target date: 17th July – 24th July 2021
• 60 professionally edited photos ready for use in external publications, with index
• Catalogue of final assets
• Consent details for all content (photos and videos) participants
• Experienced with shooting outside of a studio environment
• Own audio and video equipment capable of shooting Full HD video (preferably 4k)
• Strong interpersonal skills, happy to build a connection with the people and capture their spirits
• Must adhere to Practical Actions policies and procedures
• Currently based in Rwanda
• Have a strong portfolio that will demonstrate your skillset
• Must be available in June for shooting.
• Experience of working in humanitarian settings and content creation for the non-profit sector.
• Access to goPro equipment
Contractual and fee arrangements:
The Consultant will be contracted on a consultancy basis by Practical Action and operationally supported by Practical Action’s Rwanda office. Interested applicants should submit a budget as part of their application including:
• daily rates
• tax allowances
• all other costs associated with the delivery of the assignment
Interactions with Practical Action will be in English and all deliverables will be in English. However, the preference is for interactions and interviews with beneficiaries and stakeholders in Rwanda to be conducted in Kinyarwanda.
Practical Action will facilitate all necessary consultation with relevant project stakeholders and beneficiaries. Practical Action will coordinate transport for the consultant to all field locations and will provide office space in Kigali for non-field work, if required.
Education Requirement: No Requirements
Job Experience: No Requirements
Work Hours: 8
Job application procedure
If you have the experience, skills and the ability we are looking for, please submit your CV, budget and a link to your portfolio by email to firstname.lastname@example.org with the title ‘RE4R Videographer, Rwanda’ not later than 17th June 2021. A video interview will be held for shortlisted applicants and work is expected to commence in July 2021.
Join a Focused Community on job search to uncover both advertised and non-advertised jobs that you may not be aware of. A jobs WhatsApp Group Community can ensure that you know the opportunities happening around you and a jobs Facebook Group Community provides an opportunity to discuss with employers who need to fill urgent position. Click the links to join. You can view previously sent Email Alerts here incase you missed them and Subscribe so that you never miss out.