Rapporteur/Head of Conference Services
Jobs at:Organization of African, Caribbean and Pacific States (OACPS)
Deadline of this Job:
15 November 2021
Date Posted: Monday, October 18, 2021 , Base Salary: Not Disclosed
Supervisor: Assistant Secretary General
Duty Station: OACPS Secretariat, Belgium
The Rapporteur/Head of Conference Services is under the overall guidance and supervision of the Assistant Secretary General in charge of Administration, Finance and Human Resources (ASG, AFHR).
As Rapporteur, the incumbent provides support to the Office of the Secretary General to service the Bureau/Enlarged Bureau and Committee of Ambassadors, the Bureau and Council of Ministers. ensuring high quality, accuracy and consistency of work. The incumbent promotes a client-oriented approach consistent with the Rules and Regulations of the OACPS and has direct contact with all staff in the Secretariat, the Ambassadors, Ministers, EU and other partners on matters related to his/her functions.
As Head of the Conference Services Unit, the incumbent will supervise the translation, revision, production and distribution of documents produced in the Secretariat, planning, organizing and supervising the interpretation services as well as the functioning and maintenance of the meeting facilities. He/she also defines and proposes the linguistic and conference policies of the Secretariat, prepares a draft budget for the Conference Services, defines and supervises the work programme and evaluates the performance of the members of staff in the unit. In the pursuit of the efficient running of Conference Services, the Head needs to interact with internal and external partners, heads of unit or departments in organizing their meetings, other senior staff in the framework of the management meetings designed to coordinate the Secretariat actions, OACP States Missions in Brussels and other official OACPS bodies which may require relevant services.
Functions / Key Results Expected
1. Drafts agendas, preparatory documents and minutes of meetings of the Bureau /Enlarged Bureau, Committee of Ambassadors, Bureau of Council and Council of Ministers and of related joint institutions as defined in the OACPS-EU Partnership Agreement, participates in meetings and ensures availability of documents, ensures follow-up of meetings and implementation of decisions, focusing on the achievement of the following results:
• Timely availability to participants of accurate, objective and neutral records of discussions and decisions in order to thoughtfully take actions in the future;
• Participation in the preparation of the above-mentioned meetings and ensuring the availability of the appropriate documents;
• Follow-up of meetings of Committee of Ambassadors and Council of Ministers in order to ensure implementation of decisions.
2. Prepares statements for the Chair of the Bureau, Committee of Ambassadors to deliver in meetings and “Speaking Notes” for the President of Council with accuracy and relevance of information, focusing on the achievement of the following result:
• Allow Chair of the Committee of Ambassadors and President of the Council to conduct the meeting effectively, efficiently and with fluency.
3. Prepares draft summary records of meetings including weekly management meetings, focusing on achievement of the following results:
• Accurate and relevant information in the minutes as to issues discussed and decisions taken;
• Rapporteur has to be au fait with all the proceedings and with all the issues being dealt with by the different organs of the Group in order to understand the issues dealt with in Management meetings.
4. Consults with the Secretary-General’s Cabinet and Specialists and cooperates with staff in the OACPS Secretariat in the preparation of meeting schedules for the OACP States and ensures the programming, preparation and practical organisation of all OACPS, OACPS-EU and other meetings involving the OACPS in Brussels and elsewhere, focusing on achievement of the following results:
• Programme of meetings prepared periodically and scheduled ahead of time;
• All interpretation, translation and logistical services available on a timely basis;
• Meetings are held on the dates and hours planned.
5. Coordinates and supervises the in-house interpretation services and provides overall supervision of the translation section, focusing on achievement of the following results:
• All meetings are efficiently covered by the OACPS’s interpretation service;
• All documents are translated into the languages requested on a timely basis;
• Prompt distribution of documents to meeting participants.
6. Prepares a draft budget for the Conference Services, defines and supervises the work of the programme and evaluates the performance of relevant Conference Services staff, focusing on achievement of the following results:
• Draft budget prepared on time for discussion and approval;
• Work programme of Conference Services defined and implemented as planned;
• Performance evaluation of Conference Services staff carried out according to schedule, including discussions of performance with staff
7. Establishes and maintains contact with the EU Conference Services, as well as with any other organisation or institution, focusing on achievement of the following results:
• Keep updated on conference service practices in the international scene;
• Technical assistance from the EU Conference Services, such as organizing of tests for interpreter, translator positions.
Impact of Results
The key results have an impact on the smooth functioning of the proceedings of the Committee of Ambassadors and Council of Ministers, the accuracy of the records of the proceedings, issues discussed and decisions taken, and on the confidence of Member States in the services provided by the Secretariat and its institutional memory. A good planning of the meetings and the documentation helps the organization to take decisions in proper material conditions with interpretation provided to facilitate communication.
• Demonstrates and promotes the highest standard of integrity, impartiality, fairness and incorruptibility in all matters affecting his/her work and status;
• Understands the structure and hierarchy of the OACP Secretariat, process flows throughout the organization, products and services, their measures of effectiveness, and perceptions of clients;
• Places the good of the Organization above personal, national or other interest.
• Accepts responsibility and accountability for the quality of the outcome of his/her decisions.
• Possesses good knowledge of organizational policies and procedures relating to the position and applies them consistently in work tasks;
• Works collaboratively with team members sharing information openly and displaying cultural awareness and sensitivity;
• Demonstrates good knowledge of information technology and applies it in work assignments;
• Excellent written and oral communication skills in English and/or French;
• Ability to remain focused during extended meetings;
• Writing skills, analytical mind and the ability to summarize long debates and present decisions accurately;
• Ability to plan, manage and supervise staff.
• Creates, supports, and promotes an enabling environment for organizational knowledge sharing and learning including the use of technology;
• Organizes, supervises and prioritizes work schedule to meet client needs and deadlines;
• Establishes, builds and sustains effective relationships within the work unit and with internal and external clients;
• Strong planning, organization, problem-solving, coordination and negotiation skills;
• Ability to establish, manage, guide and monitor relationships with diverse stakeholders;
• Provides leadership and work direction to assigned to staff.
• Demonstrates respect for and understanding of diverse points of view in daily work and decision-making;
• Listens to others, correctly interprets messages, asks questions to clarify and exhibits interest in having two-way communication;
• Demonstrates strength of character and ability to stay calm and show maturity in stressful situations;
• Ability to work in a multidisciplinary team of people from diverse cultures, expertise and experiences.
• Speaks and writes clearly and effectively;
• Listens, correctly interprets messages from others and responds appropriately;
• Asks questions to clarify, and exhibits interest in having two-way communication;
• Tailors language, tone, style and format to match audience;
• Demonstrates openness in sharing information and keeping people informed.
• Masters degree or equivalent in international relations, Languages, political science, social sciences, Legal or other related fields.
• Minimum of 10 years of progressively responsible professional experience including 5 years in an international organization.
• Demonstrated experience in the area of drafting papers for a broad audience and experience in international conference organization is desirable.
• Very good command of English or French and a good command of the other.
• Working knowledge of Portuguese or Spanish would be an added advantage.
• Shortlisted applicants will be interviewed and may be assessed through other methods.
Candidates for the post must be nationals of Member States from the African, Caribbean and Pacific Regions and must therefore attach a copy of their valid passport for proof of nationality. Applications from non-OACPS nationals will not be considered.
Staff Members of the OACPS are subject to the authority of and duties assigned by the Secretary General and will discharge their functions under conditions established by the Secretary General.
All employment decisions are made on the suitability of the candidate and the needs of the OACPS. Due regard will be paid to the importance of recruiting staff on as wide a geographical basis as possible.
The appointment to this position is for an initial period of 3 years and renewal thereof is subject to the needs of the OACPS and availability of the post or funds.
Work Hours: 8
Experience in Months: 120
Level of Education: Postgraduate Degree
Job application procedure
Applications for this post should be sent by e-mail to: firstname.lastname@example.org and must reach the Secretariat by mid night on the deadline date.
Applications must be accompanied by an updated curriculum vitae completed in the following format: https://europass.cedefop.europa.eu/editors/en/cv/compose. Applications in another format will be treated as incomplete and will not be considered for further evaluation. Applicants must provide copies of degrees, diplomas, certificates and any other documents attesting to their competence and professional experience.
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted and those under serious consideration will be subject to reference checks.
Join a Focused Community on job search to uncover both advertised and non-advertised jobs that you may not be aware of. A jobs WhatsApp Group Community can ensure that you know the opportunities happening around you and a jobs Facebook Group Community provides an opportunity to discuss with employers who need to fill urgent position. Click the links to join. You can view previously sent Email Alerts here incase you missed them and Subscribe so that you never miss out.