Interpreter (English booth)
Jobs at:Organization of African, Caribbean and Pacific States (OACPS)
Deadline of this Job:
15 November 2021
Date Posted: Monday, October 18, 2021 , Base Salary: Not Disclosed
Supervisor: Head of Conference Services and Rapporteur
Duty Station: OACPS Secretariat, Belgium
Under the guidance and supervision of the Head of Conference Services and Rapporteur, the Interpreter provides interpretation services for the OACPS Secretariat, ensuring high quality, accuracy and consistency of work. The Interpreter promotes a client-oriented approach consistent with OACPS Rules and Regulations. The Interpreter routinely covers sensitive and highly technical meetings.
Functions / Key Results Expected
1. Provides simultaneous or consecutive interpretation into his/her A language of statements and speeches given in his/her B and C languages, inter alia during oral proceedings, debates or discussions of committees and working groups of the OACPS Secretariat
• Facilitation of participants’ understanding of the proceedings, debates and discussions during the meeting, so that they are able to participate, make decisions and take follow-up actions
2. Interprets into English and/or French during dignitaries’ courtesy calls on the Secretary-General and on any other such occasions, focusing on the achievement of the following result:
• Facilitation of any discussions between the Secretary-General and dignitaries
3. Performs similar duties when requested by the staff of the Secretariat in the pursuance of their official duties, focusing on the achievement of the following result:
• Facilitation of discussions between the parties
4. Seeks continuous learning/further training in A, B and C languages, focusing on the achievement of the following results:
• Continuous improvement and practice in interpretation from different languages into his/her A language
• More competencies for the interpreter to enable her/him to offer better services
Impact of Results
The key results have an impact on the quality of interpretation at OACPS and OACPS-EU meetings, as well as the smooth running of these meetings.
• Demonstrates and promotes the highest standard of integrity, impartiality, fairness and incorruptibility in all matters affecting his/her work and status
• Understands the structure and hierarchy of the OACPS Secretariat, process flows throughout the Organisation, products and services, their measures of effectiveness, and perceptions of clients
• Places the good of the Organisation above personal, national or other interests.
• Ability to remain focused during meetings, which can last up to 3 hours per sitting over several days and to demonstrate a high level of concentration as well as split-second accuracy
• Ability to work under continuous stress and deliver clear interpretation on an exceedingly broad range of subjects
• Professionalism, punctuality, ability and willingness to travel and keep flexible working hours
• Conscientious and efficient in meeting commitments and achieving results
• Demonstrated ability to establish and maintain effective working relations as a team member and team leader, if necessary, in a multi-cultural, multi-ethnic environment with sensitivity and respect for diversity
• Commitment to continuous learning: ability and willingness to constantly improve linguistic skills; monitor own work, good documentary and terminological preparation for meetings
• Ability to supervise and provide guidance to trainee interpreters, as required
• Ability to function as team leader, as required, of all interpreters assigned to the same meeting
• Demonstrates respect for and understanding of diverse points of view in daily work and decision-making
• Listens to others, correctly interprets messages, seeks clarification and exhibits interest in having two-way communication,
• Demonstrates strength of character and ability to stay calm and show maturity in stressful situations.
• Works collaboratively with colleagues to achieve the goal of providing quality interpretation
• Solicits input by genuinely valuing others’ ideas and expertise; is willing to learn from others; places team agenda before personal agenda
• Masters degree or equivalent from a recognised university or interpretation school; successful completion of competitive interpretation examinations.
• At least five (5) years of professional interpreting experience.
• A perfect command of English as mother tongue/main language (A) and excellent comprehension of French (B language).
• Ability to work from Portuguese or Spanish (C languages) would be an added advantage.
Shortlisted applicants will be interviewed and may be assessed through other methods.
Candidates for the post must be nationals of Member States from the African, Caribbean, and Pacific Regions and must therefore attach a copy of their valid passport for proof of nationality. Applications from non-ACP nationals will not be considered.
Staff Members of the OACPS are subject to the authority of and duties assigned by the Secretary-General and will discharge their functions under conditions established by the Secretary-General.
All employment decisions are made on the suitability of the candidate and the needs of the OACPS. Due regard will be paid to the importance of recruiting the staff on as wide a geographical basis as possible.
The appointment to this position is for an initial period of 3 years and renewal thereof is subject to the needs of the OACPS and availability of the post or funds.
Work Hours: 8
Experience in Months: 60
Level of Education: Postgraduate Degree
Job application procedure
Applications for this post should be sent by e-mail to: email@example.com and must reach the Secretariat by midnight on the deadline date.
Applications must be accompanied by an updated curriculum vitae completed in the following format: https://europass.cedefop.europa.eu/editors/en/cv/compose. Applications in another format will be treated as incomplete and will not be considered for further evaluation Applicants must provide copies of degrees, diplomas, certificates, and any other documents attesting to their competence and professional experience.
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted and those under serious consideration will be subjected to reference checks.
Join a Focused Community on job search to uncover both advertised and non-advertised jobs that you may not be aware of. A jobs WhatsApp Group Community can ensure that you know the opportunities happening around you and a jobs Facebook Group Community provides an opportunity to discuss with employers who need to fill urgent position. Click the links to join. You can view previously sent Email Alerts here incase you missed them and Subscribe so that you never miss out.